Exciting "thought experiment":
Suppose all higher education were conducted online.
Now imagine how and why you would ADD face-to-face meetings.
- In what ways could you improve online education by creating new hybrid or blended options?
- What strategies would you recommend to teachers,students in this new combined environment?
- How could you best take advantage of both synchronous and asynchronous interaction?
- What different media might you use?
- In what ways would you encourage, support, or prevent students from multi-tasking?
- How does the concept of "band-width" influence your choices?
This activity was suggested by Doug Eder, Director of Univ. Evaluation, Arizona State Univ. during a telephone conference call 1/30/2007 involving about a dozen experts in various aspects of faculty and professional development for college teaching and learning.
Listen to Eder describe this idea informally via MP3 .