Twenty-second issue, Volume Six
TLT Group TGIF 6.4.2013
From Group World Headquarters
In June our focus is on MOOCs, The Seven Futures of American Education MOOCOW. Also in June and spilling into July we will be planning the Teaching Online for Beginners series. You are welcome to be a part of both of these events.
If you want to plan today 2pmET re Teaching Online for Smart Dummies, BUT CAN’T, visit tlt.gs/TOLdummies & read this
Developing a MOOCow? Who owns what/when? See: Coursera’s Terms of Service. Discuss 5/31 2pmET re: Teaching Online tlt.gs/frlv FridayLive!
Prep for free online "fish bowl" 5/31 2pmET re: Teaching Online for Beginners & Smart Dummies. Help plan tlt.gs/frlv TLTGroup FridayLive!Why voice in MOOCows? “..best narrators can make a good book take wing..” begin free tlt.gs/7FsMOOCow now June7 next synch session
Tech Tool Chest for Beginning Online Teachers (Smart Dummies)June 5, 2013 3:00 pm Eastern TimeLeaders: Steve Gilbert, Beth Dailey, and others
Develop List of 7 Apps/Accounts/Tools [e.g., Google Docs; ...]or
(This session is free to TLT Group Members Fee to others)
Planning Fishbowl for Teaching Online (TOL) Beginners6/12/13, Wednesday, 3:00 PM ET6/26/13, Wednesday, 3:00 PM ET7/12/13, Friday, 2:00 PM ET
7FsMOOCow Live Session
The Seven Futures Approach to IEQ: A DialogueJune 7, 2013 2:00-3:00 pm ET - free to all. Presenters; John Sener and Steve GilbertRegister HereThis session will include:
- What are the 7 futures and how do they connect with the planning approach offered?
- Main topics of the first 4 modules and assignments: Quality, Challenges, Criteria, and Strategies.
- Updates and examples from Designated Learners (DLs)
Up-coming FridayLive! schedule:
June 14 Seven Futures 3rd session, “Modeling the IEQ Planning Process”June 21 Seven Futures 4th session, “Sharing Your Plans, Reflecting on Your Experience”June 28 Review, Respond and Shape
MOOCs Round Three
Seven Futures of American Education schMOOC/MOOCOWMay 17 - June 21, 2013Communicate with fellow schMOOC/MOOCOW’s here
You can still join theSeven Futures of American Education schMOOC/MOOCOWThe series will began wih a live session on May 17th. The recording of this session is available on the Central Course Communication pageIt will conclude on June 21, 2013 and consist of four live synchronous sessions and four modules.
This link will take you to a video introduction to the MOOC
The schMOOC/MOOCOW* (Massive Open Online Course Or Whatever) will explore John Sener's book "The Seven Futures of American Education: Improving Learning & Teaching in a Screen-Captured World."
The series will include these participation options ("paths"):
- guided sequence to enable participants to create an action plan for implementing one or more quality improvement strategies in their course, program, or institution.
- “do-it-yourself” (DIY) approach which allows participants to learn what they wish by defining their own objectives and using available resources (both inside and outside the course) to attain them as desired.
Time Frame Event/Topic Friday, May 17, 2 - 3pm ET: Live Session: Getting Started: Getting to Know You, Us, the Seven Futures. Watch a recording of the session. May 17 - June 7: Module 1: Identifying Your ChallengeModule 2: Defining Quality Improvement: the Seven Futures Framework & You Friday, June 7, 2 - 3pm ET: Live Session: The Seven Futures Approach to IEQ: A Dialogue June 7 - 14: Module 3: Selecting Your IEQ Strategy
Friday, June 14, 2 - 3pm ET: Live Session: Modeling the IEQ Planning Process June 14 - 21: Module 4: Preparing Your IEQ Action Plan Friday, June 21, 2 - 3pm ET Live Session: Sharing Your Plans, Reflecting on Your Experience The series will also model several of the key strategies described in Seven Futures, including:
- learner-generated content (create an action plan and other content that you can use),
- event-anchored learning (participate in TLT Group's FridayLive! synchronous events to S‘anchor’ course activities), and
- impact assessment (opportunities to reflect on what you’re learning, mine insights, and assess their impact on you, your students, your colleagues...).NOTE: *a “schMOOC/MOOCOW” is our version of a MOOC (Massively Open Online Course):schMOOC” = “somewhat connectivist, hypothetically Massive Open Online Course” --
“somewhat connectivist” because the course offers DIY and other connectivist options but also offers more structure than a typical cMOOC. “hypothetically” Massive because the course is open to all but not likely to be huge.
Encourage. Enable. Engage.
Tuesday, June 04, 2013
TGIF: Tech Tool Chest for Beginners and the 7 Futures MOOCOW
Posted by Beth Dailey at 8:00 PM