How much/little authority, responsibility, tasks can/should be shared?
How can a colleague or student help you?
Join us online Wed Dec 12 2pmET Registration free to TLT Group Members and help develop the role of "Designated Learner" [see below] and other roles to improve online/hybrid courses, sessions. We'll discuss:
- What could be helpful when a teacher of an online or hybrid course is NOT solely responsible for its content, structure, production, etc.? Similarly for workshops, conference sessions, etc.
- What's the least an additional person could do to be useful in contributing to the teaching/running of online/hybrid sessions?
- What could someone (who is NOT the leader of the MOOC or even affiliated with the institution that sponsors/supports/"owns" the MOOC) do to help take advantage of a MOOC?
IN ADDITION TO "VOICE OF THE CHAT" WHAT ROLES WOULD IMPROVE THE TLT GROUP'S ONLINE SESSIONS?
WHAT IS A "DESIGNATED LEARNER"? [Alternative labels: Delegated Learner, Voice of the Learner, Learner Representative, Model Learner, Surrogate Learner, Visible Learner, ...]
- A genuine beginner (with respect to the particular tool, resource or concept being learned).
- Someone who has NOT already learned how to use the tool/resource.
- Someone who goes through the learning process live, in public, asking questions, showing false starts, willing to reveal mistakes.
- Someone whose questions and requests keep the instructor moving along slowly enough so that others who are observing can also be participating live/real time in this first-time learning experience - actually using the tool/resource at least once with some success
- Someone who asks questions that others probably want to ask... but are either reluctant or unable (can't get microphone) to ask for themselves.
What if the additional person is a faculty colleague from the same academic department? What if the person is a student serving as "designated scribe"? What if the person is a retiree quite expert in the subject? A retiree from another discipline entirely? An instructional designer? A Grad TA?