TLT Group TGIF 5.13.2014
From Group World Headquarters
Exploration and experimentation with various ways to build community online begins this week. The goal is to cross the starting line in a way that makes sense for you. Pop into the events on Wednesday and Friday or register for the entire 6 week TOL4B MOOCow
TLT MembershipYou can become an individual member for $75.00 (USD).Did you know…
- if you have participated in or registered for TOL4B you will receive a $25 discount. Enter discount code TLO4B.
- if you have retired you will receive $40 discount. Enter discount code RETIREE.
- if you are a current student you will receive a $50 discount. Enter discount code: STUDENT.Join Us, Click here to get started. .
Members ExchangeMOOCow Teaching Online for Beginners (TOL4B)
Orientation to MOOCow ToolsDate: May 14, 2014Time: 3:00 PM ETPresenters; Steve Gilbert, Beth Dailey and Others
Join TOL4B participants as we experiment with the following MOOCow tools:
- Adobe Connect microphone use
- Access MOOCow information on the TOL4B home base
- Participate in MOOCow discussions via VoiceThread
- Access resources using the TOL4B DIIGO site
MOOCOW = Massively Open Online Course (Or Whatever) -- designed to capture the flexible and experimental nature of this course.Upcoming Member Exchange events
May 28: Easing into Twitter Chatting* about LMS Features
June 11: Easing into Twitter Chatting* about Self Intro Videos
FridayLive!MOOCow Introduction: Teaching Online for Beginners (TOL4B)Date: May 16, 2014Description
- Applying our findings and insights about MOOCs)
- Why we selected options and how to use them
- MOOCow learning goals
- How to do some basic MOOCow-needed activities for participants (participate in Forum; read/listen to weekly learning plan)
- Intro resources useful in developing creating your next small steps plan.Link to MOOCow ScheduleMOOCOW = Massively Open Online Course (Or Whatever) -- designed to capture the flexible and experimental nature of this course.
- Up-coming FridayLive! schedule:
May 23 Recommended Practices for Building Community Online for Teaching and Learning (TOL4B)
May 30 Using Online Student Feedback (TOL4B)June 6 Video Self-Introductions for Teaching and Learning Part 1: Critiquing and Discussing in Small Online Groups (TOL4B)June 13 Video Self-Introductions for Teaching and Learning Part 2: Screencast-O-Matic and YouTube Demonstrations (TOL4B)
MOOCs Round SixMOOCow Teaching Online for Beginners (TOL4B)MOOCOW = Massively Open Online Course (Or Whatever) -- designed to capture the flexible and experimental nature of this course.Join the planning and help further shape the MOOCow:
Link to planning document
Provide feedback on tools and strategies to be included. Link to survey.
MOOCowTeaching Online for Beginners (TOL4B) May 11 - June, 27, 2014Presenters; Steve Gilbert, Beth Dailey and Others
DescriptionTeaching Online for Beginners (TOL4B) is a Massive Open Online Course or Whatever (MOOCow) designed to help you, as a successful faculty member in higher education, begin to teach entirely online or include more online resources and activities in your courses. You care about your students and their learning.
You care about your students and their learning. You are busy and will continue to be busy. By sampling available options, benefits and drawbacks to teaching online you will cross the starting line. You will experience and experiment with a variety of easy to learn, reliable, widely accessible and least expensive tools and resources and strategies related to creating social presence and building community online.
You will realize teaching and learning online does not necessarily mean teaching and learning alone, does not require being overworked, giving up your best teaching or losing meaningful contact with students. It can be satisfying and fun.
The "Action" path through the MOOCow is designed to help you achieve a variety of learning outcomes and ultimately produce a self-introductory video which will become part of a more complete introductory unit in an online course, as per rubric. You may also want to chose a Design It Yourself (DIY) path to meet your own learning goals.
#TLTGroup, #tltgFRLV, #tltgTOL4B
Encourage. Enable. Engage.