TLT Group TGIF 5.6.2014
From Group World Headquarters
FridayLive! “The Walled Garden” a.k.a. The Learning Management System (LMS)?Exploring options for extending pr replacing functions within the LMS.TLT MembershipYou can become an individual member for $75.00 (USD).Did you know…
- if you have participated in or registered for TOL4B you will receive a $25 discount. Enter discount code TLO4B.
- if you have retired you will receive $40 discount. Enter discount code RETIREE.
- if you are a current student you will receive a $50 discount. Enter discount code: STUDENT.Join Us, Click here to get started.The Teaching Online for Beginners (TOL4B) MOOCow Starts next week!!!May 11 - June, 27, 2014Listen to this overview to determine if it is right for you.
Members ExchangeDigging Deeper into Voice TranscriptionDate: May 7, 2014Time: 3-4 pm EasternPresenters: Steve Gilbert, and othersDESCRIPTIONThe exploration continuesLink to planning document.All TLT Group Members and subscribers are welcome to attend and participate. If you are not a member, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like an invitation to participate and attend.Upcoming Member Exchange eventsMay 14: Teaching Online for Beginners (TOL4B) Orientation to MOOCow Tools
May 28: Easing into Twitter Chatting* about LMS Features
June 11: Easing into Twitter Chatting* about Self Intro Videos
FridayLive!“The Walled Garden” a.k.a. The Learning Management System (LMS)?Date: May 9, 2014Time: 2:00-3:00 pm ETPresenters: Steve Gilbert and othersRegister Here. free to all.
DescriptionMany questions circulate these days regarding learning management systems (LMS). A walled garden (LMS) restricts access. There a tool shed within the garden, but is it limited? What about tools outside the garden? Is there a gate? Who decides what can go in and out of the gate? Information? Tools? Let's talk together about these and other questions such as :
- CURRENT TRENDS, FEATURES OF LMS What institutions are exploring, using, requiring, supporting in LMS options for their faculty - esp faculty who teach online.
- ALTERNATIVES, ENHANCEMENTS TO LMS What non-LMS options are important for faculty to consider using INSTEAD of or in ADDITION to their institution's provided LMS - especially faculty new to teaching fully or partly online.
- IMPLICIT AND EXPLICIT PEDAGOGIES OF LMS Every LMS reflects an underlying pedagogy - whether that pedagogy is intentional and explicit or accidental and implied. How can an institution or an individual faculty member decide how well the LMS’s underlying pedagogy fits their needs and goals? To what extent can or should a faculty member adapt his/her own pedagogy to the LMS? In what ways can an LMS be adapted or augmented to fit the users’ preferred pedagogy?Resources:
- “Reclaim Learning: A Domain of One's Own"” by Jim Groom, keynote from Sloan-C/MERLOT Emerging Technologies Symposium for Online Learning in Dallas. See link in Michelle Pacansky Brock’s blog post.
- Democratizing Education, Eric Van Hippel
- BEASLEY, W. (MAY 2, 2012) Infiltrating the Walled GardenUp-coming FridayLive! schedule:
MOOCs Round SixMOOCow Teaching Online for Beginners (TOL4B)MOOCOW = Massively Open Online Course (Or Whatever) -- designed to capture the flexible and experimental nature of this course.Join the planning and help further shape the MOOCow:Link to planning document
Provide feedback on tools and strategies to be included. Link to survey.
MOOCowTeaching Online for Beginners (TOL4B) May 11 - June, 27, 2014Presenters; Steve Gilbert, Beth Dailey and Others
DescriptionTeaching Online for Beginners (TOL4B) is a Massive Open Online Course or Whatever (MOOCow) designed to help you, as a successful faculty member in higher education, begin to teach entirely online or include more online resources and activities in your courses. You care about your students and their learning.
You care about your students and their learning. You are busy and will continue to be busy. By sampling available options, benefits and drawbacks to teaching online you will cross the starting line. You will experience and experiment with a variety of easy to learn, reliable, widely accessible and least expensive tools and resources and strategies related to creating social presence and building community online.
You will realize teaching and learning online does not necessarily mean teaching and learning alone, does not require being overworked, giving up your best teaching or losing meaningful contact with students. It can be satisfying and fun.
The "Action" path through the MOOCow is designed to help you achieve a variety of learning outcomes and ultimately produce a self-introductory video which will become part of a more complete introductory unit in an online course, as per rubric. You may also want to chose a Design It Yourself (DIY) path to meet your own learning goals.
#TLTGroup, #tltgFRLV, #tltgTOL4B
Encourage. Enable. Engage.