Nineteenth issue, Volume Six
TLT Group TGIF 5.14.2013
From Group World Headquarters
Seven Futures of American Education schMOOC/MOOCOW starts on Friday!
Consider an institutional membership in TLT.Institutional Subscription entitles everyone at your institution to TLT group activities, services, and resource materials. And individual membership is free to all within your institution. You will find more information on our website. Sally Gilbert, Director of Administration, can answer any questions you may have email@example.com
Design Courses: Significant Learning vs Cover Content + Dev 7Futures MOOC. Transcript/etc tlt.gs/frlv #TLTGfrlv online free FridayLive! TLTG
Uses of "MOOC material" - controversy & comments (NCSU TLTR) prep for TLTG MOOCow planning today 2pm ET tlt.gs/frlv
Members Only Exchange
Changing Roles in Online Teaching and Learning(This session is free to TLT Group Members Fee to others)May 15, 2013 2:00pm Eastern TimeLeaders: Steve Gilbert, Beth Dailey, and others Register Here
This session is free to TLT Group Individual Members. ($75 to others)We have done a session on roles such as VOC. In this session the plan is to talk of other roles such as that of a scribe, maybe even the designated learner. There could be a designated questioner, naysayer, optimist, etc. What else have people used or what else could be done.
This is especially relevant to our MOOC creation and to our Silver Cloudians who we hope will take some of these roles as we proceed.
May 24th advanced organizer.Trey Mireles returns to FridayLive on May 24th, Putting EAT (Experience, Apply, Teach) to the TestParticipants will share their experiences in putting EAT to the test. Trey has also offered to field questions via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.orgIn addition, those who attended the Animoto session agreed to share the Animoto presentations they have produced.It will be fun to share, learn from each other and hear more from Trey.
FridayLive! First Session of Seven Futures of American Education schMOOC/MOOCOW*: Getting StartedMay 17, 2013 2:00-3:00 pm ET - free to all. Presenters; John Sener, Steve Gilbert and others Register Here
This first live session will launch a schMOOC/MOOCOW* (Massive Open Online Course Or Whatever) that will explore John Sener's book "The Seven Futures of American Education: Improving Learning & Teaching in a Screen-Captured World."This session will:
- introduce what will happen in the course,
- explain how to access course materials and resources,
- explain the course structure, schedule, and other basics of participation.For more information on the schMOOC/MOOCOW,click here.Registration information coming soon.Up-coming FridayLive! schedule:May 24 Putting EAT (Experience, Apply, Teach) to the Test. Trey Mireles, Psychology instructor, Madison CollegeJune 7 Seven Futures 2nd session “The Seven Futures Approach to IEQ: A Dialogue”June 14 Seven Futures 3rd session, “Modeling the IEQ Planning Process”June 21 Seven Futures 4th session, “Sharing Your Plans, Reflecting on Your Experience”
June 28 Review, Respond and Shape
MOOCs Round Three
Seven Futures of American Education schMOOC/MOOCOW
May 17 - June 21, 2013First synchronous session, May 17thRegistration for the MOOCOW coming soon.
Seven Futures of American Education schMOOC/MOOCOW
The series will begin on May 17th and conclude on June 21, 2013.
It will consist of four live synchronous sessions and four modulesThe schMOOC/MOOCOW* (Massive Open Online Course Or Whatever) will explore John Sener's book "The Seven Futures of American Education: Improving Learning & Teaching in a Screen-Captured World."The series will include these participation options ("paths"):
- guided sequence to enable participants to create an action plan for implementing one or more quality improvement strategies in their course, program, or institution.
- “do-it-yourself” (DIY) approach which allows participants to learn what they wish by defining their own objectives and using available resources (both inside and outside the course) to attain them as desired.Course Schedule:
Time Frame Event/Topic Friday, May 17, 2 - 3pm ET: Live Session: Getting Started: Getting to Know You, Us, the Seven Futures May 17 - June 7: Module 1: Identifying Your ChallengeModule 2: Defining Quality Improvement: the Seven Futures Framework & You Friday, June 7, 2 - 3pm ET: Live Session: The Seven Futures Approach to IEQ: A Dialogue June 7 - 14: Module 3: Selecting Your IEQ Strategy Friday, June 14, 2 - 3pm ET: Live Session: Modeling the IEQ Planning Process June 14 - 21: Module 4: Preparing Your IEQ Action Plan Friday, June 21, 2 - 3pm ET Live Session: Sharing Your Plans, Reflecting on Your ExperienceThe series will also model several of the key strategies described in Seven Futures, including:
- learner-generated content (create an action plan and other content that you can use),
- event-anchored learning (participate in TLT Group's FridayLive! synchronous events to S‘anchor’ course activities), and
- impact assessment (opportunities to reflect on what you’re learning, mine insights, and assess their impact on you, your students, your colleagues...).NOTE: *a “schMOOC/MOOCOW” is our version of a MOOC (Massively Open Online Course):schMOOC” = “somewhat connectivist, hypothetically Massive Open Online Course” --
“somewhat connectivist” because the course offers DIY and other connectivist options but also offers more structure than a typical cMOOC. “hypothetically” Massive because the course is open to all but not likely to be huge.
Encourage. Enable. Engage.